On 03/03/2009 04:43 AM, Dave Post wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Dave Post wrote:
>
>> (With apologies to Keith) Sebastian: In case it wasn't perfectly
>> clear, open-office (as you call it) did NOT publish your email or
>> email address anywhere. Google (and other organizations) run
>> programs that automatically "harvest" this sort of information
>> anywhere it's found on the web. So, when you send an email to a
>> public forum like this one, you can be certain Google and those
>> other organizations will add this information about you to their
>> databases. That's why it turned up when you Googled yourself.
>> (Obviously, I don't happen to care about that in my case.)
>
> I've been informed (privately) that OpenOffice archives email messages
> at its website, and that's how Google (and others) manages to find and
> harvest info that appears on this list. In that sense, then, I was
> incorrect in claiming they don't publish that info. They don't,
> however, do this with the intent of making it available for
> harvesting, nor do they collaborate with Google for this purpose, as
> the OP seemed to think.
>
> Dave

Umm... you did read:
http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
before subscribing?

<quote big bold letters>
All our lists are public.

They are not private message centers. Messages posted to them are
carried by, among others, Gmane and Google. They are public. Therefore,
consider carefully what you say: thousands if not millions may read your
words and they won't just read them today but also decades from now.
</quote>

Further:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=users