Web Kracked wrote:
Brian Barker wrote:
At 12:40 10/03/2009 -0400, Tim Lonly wrote:
This is just one of the emails I received today March 10th. Notice the date for the email was the 6th.

[ Subject: Re: [users] open clipart library
[ Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:22:25 +1100
[ From: Cameron Smith <cameronsmo...@gmail.com>
[ To: users@openoffice.org

Now i[f] the system dates it as several days ago, ...

It would be the *user's own* system that datestamped the message. (In fact it was still Thursday 5 March by UTC when it arrived at the list.)

... where has it been?

Waiting until 06:20 UTC today for moderation and release to the list (as I mentioned previously).

Brian Barker

When I get on Tuesday an email "sent to the list" on Friday,
then it is not my system as someone thought.  We just changed
on Sunday 2am to a different time zone in USA Eastern.  But
something saying yesterday is not like saying it was sent 3 or 5
days ago.

Others say way so I not sort my list address folder by threads
instead of dates. I sort everything by date.  Newest first so
I can keep older emails (100+) in some folders and not have
to page through all the emails via thread names.  I would have
to page through 50-100 emails to get the important ones.

I get 20-30 email a day in most folders, except the spam folder.
looking through 2-30 email titles are easier than looking through
100 each time I get a new email.

It gets even worse when I have to go back 20, 30, or even 50 emails
before the end of the "read" emails.

I get 100's of email a day that I need to look at and decide to read, delete, reply, store, etc.

When I need to go backwards to 3 or 5 days on email dates, it makes
any email client sorting and viewing system trouble when you need
to deal with 100's of emails a day.

If you have all the messages from this list sorted into their own mailbox (folder), then you can use threading just for that one and keep all your others date-sorted. Why not try it and see? It's easy to delete whole threads that are not of current interest, and Thunderbird shows which of the threads have unread messages so you can scan quickly to see what's new. With the threads collapsed, the clutter is minimal.