Twayne wrote:
Meenie1 wrote:
All I want to do is print some return address labels and they aren't
there.
this is the simple Avery 8167 (5267) return address labels. Why aren't
the basics in the write thing? :(
The more I use Open Office the more I dream of MS Office. It doesn't
seem to be worth the extra effort to do ANY little thing. !!

It's there:
--File: New; Labels; choose Labels tab if not already selected,
--Under Brand, select Avery Letter Size if you have letter size lable sheets or A4 if you have A4 size label sheets.
--Under Type, choose 8167 (Inkjet Return Address).

Continue as needs dictate from there.

If you like MSOffice better, then use MSOffice. But Writer handles it just fine if you take the time to read the dialogs and what's in them. The major problem with computers is, they do what we TELL them to do, not what we MEANT to do! In the future, also try Help: it's described rather well there too. Step by step even. Every once in awhile, people should actually try to help themselves instead of expecting hand holding for every little thing. Personally, I try to eek out from the dialogs what I want and if if I can't, I go to Help, then Google, often then to the OOo FAQs and/or online help files, and then if I still can't find it, I'll ask on this group. But I don't come here first: I assume people here have better things to do than listen to my groaning about how much better MSO is and hold my hand to tell me where the "anykey" is located. Sometimes it's just a matter of unlearning old habits and realizing OOo is NOT Word. What it is, is a very "low priced", excellent version of a suite of files similar to but not the same as, microsoft office. It even does quite a few things MS office can't do; if I just take the time to figure it out, like I did with Word, way back when, and WordStar before that, and VI before that, and Edlin before that. And then there were the VAX machines, and Tymnet, and ...

Cheers,

Twayne

I did some clear labels the other day.  OOo works great
when you need to do them.  MS Word "required" me to go to
Avery and download their wizard to do Avery labels.  It is
nice that OOo has them built in.  Of course, you can always
go to Avery and download templates instead.  The wizard works
only with Word, but between the OOo built in labels and the
templates that Avery has, you are set for almost every label
needs.

I know what Twayne is talking about, when he states to just
figure it out.  I used PC-Write, then WordPerfect, the Word,
now OpenOffice.org.  I had to figure things out myself for
most of all the things I did/do with these word processors.
I even had to write an editing program for RPG II on PDP/11 and
VAX machines that was easier to use than the junk we were to
use.  I had to figure a lot of things out myself.  BUT no more
with this list.  It is not easy for my eyes to read an ebook
on this laptop, so manuals tend not to be read.  This list
is great for easy (mostly) ways to do things.  Thanks guys/gals
for that.

I still use may old/older software, since I already know how
to do my work using them.  That, it seems to me, is one of the
biggest problems to get people to use OOo.  I hate it when
I am told you are required to use "such and such" software to
do the work. The required software usually cost  big money,
when most people cannot afford it.  Just like colleges use to
require specific Apple laptops, or now a Blackberry, or other
thing.

Colleges require Word/office when the students need only a
word processor to do the work.  That is the real joke.

Well, enough of that.

As I said, OOo makes labels easy.  Then Avery makes templates
for all their labels that I have ever used or seen.  So either
way, OOo can do the work easier, for me, than Word ever did.

Tim L.
retire, and tired of MS
and missing my wife, now that she is in a nursing facility.

06:54:00