On 05/09/2009 06:56 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 09 May 2009 18:20:32 -0700
> NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net> dijo:
>> You can, as previously, install both the PPA *and* standard OOo 3.1.0
>> and run them in paralell if you wish.
>
> I might install 3.1.0 PPA eventually, but I won't do a parallel
> install. I did that back when I had 2.4.1 from Intrepid and I installed
> the OOo 3.0.0 alongside it. It crashed every hour or so. Main problem
> was that I couldn't install the desktop-integration deb if I wanted to
> keep 2.4.1.

You *don't* install the standard OOo desktop-integration deb - it
doesn't work. You install only the .debs in the /DEB folder. You then
create menu items & icons to the /opt directory:
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice
to easily access the parallel install. Neither (U)OOo 3.0.1 or OOo 3.1.0
will have any affect on the other. I currently have installed on this
machine:

(U)OOo 3.1.0 (PPA) - previously had (U)OOo 3.1.0
OOo 3.1.0
OOo 3.2(dev)
OOo 2.4.2

All run independent of each other. All can be run at the same time. I
had more, but my hard drives are only 40Gb so I'm limited to what I can
keep on the drive w/large applications.

 Later I installed the PPA version of 3.0.1 over 2.4.1 and
> that stopped the crashing. The rest of the bugs remained. And they
> still remain after the dist-upgrade to Jaunty replaced the PPA version
> of 3.0.1 with U-3.0.1.
>
> I wish there was a live CD of 3.1.0 so I could open my files in it and
> see if any of the problems are fixed before installing it.

Keep watch of:
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
and you might find a 3.1 version. However, your best bet is to invest in
a test machine where you can install and test at will. I've 5 machines
pulled out of bins that others didn't want simply because they didn't
meet MS Vista specs. 3 are 2.4Ghz/512Mb-1Ghz RAM and all run just fine -
all were free. Certainly on your campus you can find an old machine that
someone is tossing.