> I think these results are more correctly called "truncation" and result from
> the inherently limited numerical precision of digital computers. It's not
> surprising that Excel and Calc exhibit the same problem if they use the same
> precision (i.e., single, double, whatever) for storing numbers in whatever
> programming language(s) they're written in. This conclusion implies that
> Calc per se (e.g., a bug) wasn't to blame for the problem Dotan's employer
> encountered. It was, instead, due to unawareness of this fundamental
> limitation.

The issue occured more than once: once for Latet (I volunteer there,
not paid work) and once on my personal files. In both cases the
numbers were 9 digits long, well within the precision limits. The two
affected spreadsheets were written by different users on different
operating systems, the only thing in common was Calc.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il