-------- Original Message  --------
From: James E. Lang <j...@lang.hm>
To: users@openoffice.org
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:03:59 -0700

> --On Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:44:56 PM -0400 James Knott
> <james.kn...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Joraine Nothling wrote:
>
>>> 6.     Is it compatible with the Office 2007 suite - i.e can I send them
>>> Office 2007 docs which they will be able to open in Open Office?
>>>

>> By default, OpenOffice saves in the Open Document formats (ODF).  While
>> Office 2007 & SP2 support ODF, that support is broken.  OpenOffice can
>> read & write in the older Microsoft Office formats and read Office 2007
>> files.
>
> So you are saying that OOo cannot properly write Office 2007 files? That
> could cause me some grief. My boss has Office on his Windows Vista
> machine at home so I'm guessing that it is Office 2007 and I have saved
> him money by installing OOo on the office Windows 2000 machine.
> Spreadsheets need to be read on both computers though they will
> generally be updated on the office computer. It's a small operation and
> his computer literacy level is nil.

The problem (reasonably well described here: http://tinyurl.com/nyebee)
arises if the Office 2007 user installs MSO 2007 Service Pack 2 and
saves files in ODF format.

Two options come to mind:

1. Set Office 2007 to save in the old MS binary format (eg. xls, doc,
etc.) by default.

2. Install the Sun ODF Plug-In for MS Office:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
and override MSO2007SP2 ODF function.
See: http://blogs.sun.com/malte/entry/using_the_sun_odf_plugin

This was discussed recently on the "Discus" mailing list:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=discuss&msgNo=64489

HTH

Dave