James, I'm not sure what the problem would be, given that "Office 2007 formats" and "formats usable by Office 2007" are not the same thing. Office 2007 can read the old Office formats, and OOo can read the new ones. So if he's using Office 2007 to create files, the default (whatever-x) files should be OK for OOo to read and use (although there's more experience with the older Office formats, so those are likely to be a better solution). If he's using OOo to create or modify files, he can save them in the old Office formats, and that can even be the default so he need not use "Save As" every time. I don't think there's any real benefit to having OOo save in the new Office 2007 formats, though apparently that may now be supported.

The only real problem would be if he created ODF formats on either computer, but had not installed the Sun ODF plugin for the Office 2007 computer. If he wrote them from Office 2007 SP2, OOo (and other applications that implement the ODF standard) could not use them properly because the Microsoft implementation of the standard is non-standard. If he wrote them from OOo, Office 2007 SP2 would appear to use them, but they would probably not work properly because of those differences; the original Office 2007 would reject them because it had no support for the ODF filetypes.

James E. Lang wrote:
I'm afraid you missed the point of my question. I am aware that Microsoft Office has problems with the Open Document Format. What Mr. Knott seemed to say is that OpenOffice.org has trouble writing in the Office 2007 format. That is what bothers me. I hope I misunderstood him or that he misspoke.

--On Friday, August 07, 2009 05:14:26 PM +1000 Dave Barton <d...@tasit.net> wrote:

-------- Original Message  --------
From: James E. Lang <j...@lang.hm>
To: users@openoffice.org
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:03:59 -0700

--On Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:44:56 PM -0400 James Knott
<james.kn...@rogers.com> wrote:

Joraine Nothling wrote:

6.     Is it compatible with the Office 2007 suite - i.e can I send
them Office 2007 docs which they will be able to open in Open Office?

By default, OpenOffice saves in the Open Document formats (ODF). While
Office 2007 & SP2 support ODF, that support is broken.  OpenOffice can
read & write in the older Microsoft Office formats and read Office 2007
files.

So you are saying that OOo cannot properly write Office 2007 files? That
could cause me some grief. My boss has Office on his Windows Vista
machine at home so I'm guessing that it is Office 2007 and I have saved
him money by installing OOo on the office Windows 2000 machine.
Spreadsheets need to be read on both computers though they will
generally be updated on the office computer. It's a small operation and
his computer literacy level is nil.

The problem (reasonably well described here: http://tinyurl.com/nyebee)
arises if the Office 2007 user installs MSO 2007 Service Pack 2 and
saves files in ODF format.

Two options come to mind:

1. Set Office 2007 to save in the old MS binary format (eg. xls, doc,
etc.) by default.

2. Install the Sun ODF Plug-In for MS Office:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/
and override MSO2007SP2 ODF function.
See: http://blogs.sun.com/malte/entry/using_the_sun_odf_plugin

This was discussed recently on the "Discus" mailing list:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=discuss&msgNo=64489

HTH

Dave