James E. Lang wrote:
> --On Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:44:56 PM -0400 James Knott
> <james.kn...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Joraine Nothling wrote:
>
>>> 6. Is it compatible with the Office 2007 suite - i.e can I send them
>>> Office 2007 docs which they will be able to open in Open Office?
>>>

>> By default, OpenOffice saves in the Open Document formats (ODF). While
>> Office 2007 & SP2 support ODF, that support is broken. OpenOffice can
>> read & write in the older Microsoft Office formats and read Office 2007
>> files.
>
> So you are saying that OOo cannot properly write Office 2007 files?
> That could cause me some grief. My boss has Office on his Windows
> Vista machine at home so I'm guessing that it is Office 2007 and I
> have saved him money by installing OOo on the office Windows 2000
> machine. Spreadsheets need to be read on both computers though they
> will generally be updated on the office computer. It's a small
> operation and his computer literacy level is nil.

Sorry, it can save Office 2007. I just checked. However, I have never
had reason to save in that format.

Why not give it a try and see what happens. One thing to consider is
that it's still best to save in the old MS office formats. Even MS
Office on Macs have problems with Office 2007 files created on Windows.