2009/8/12 Gary Copcutt <jen...@internode.on.net>

> For all of the users out there who want to keep using OpenOffice but are
> receiving .docx files.
>
> Please send a message back to the sender to inform them that they should
> use
> an Open Standard product like OpenOffice or request them to send in MS
> 2003 .doc format or .rtf format as you cant read their docx file.   Why?
> Because - my understanding is that the specification for docx released by
> MS
> is so big it will take a team of 6 to convert OpenOffice or any other
> document create/read app to get it right and keep it maintained.  This is
> not
> going to happen in any short time frame.
>
> This is a blatant MS ransoming all MS users to get locked into their
> product
> and document formating.  Just ask yourself the question - Was there
> something
> wrong with .odt format or .doc format for 98% of the users in the world who
> want to produce a reasonable formated document that convey information that
> others need to read and understand and make decisions on.   No!   In fact
> 100% of the time simple text (a' la email) will suffice for the average Joe
> out there.
>
> Fight for open standards and freedom.
>
> GaryC

Gary, you may not have seen the news that a US District Court has ruled in
favour of a small Canadian firm known as i4i, that sued Microsoft for patent
infringement with regard to XML. Naturally enough, given the depth of
Microsoft's pockets, the case is far from over, but I can't help thinking
that «'tis the sport to have the enginer hoist with his owne petar» For more
on this matter, check out this Seattlepi blog* *(
http://preview.tinyurl.com/npmmlc )....

Henri