In a message dated 2009.08.15 08:11 -0500, Brian Barker wrote:

Imported picture into document, tried to anchor to a paragraph, position to right, with text wrapped to left. In the context menu, this is apparently "Wrap.. Optimal Page Wrap".

That's one option. Before, Parallel, and Page would all work for you in this context as well, I think. (For some of these, you'll need to go to Format | Picture... | Wrap | Settings.)

[One of my OO peeves: If different entry points are to be provided to an editing function (like Wrap), why should those entry points provides different panes? That just seems sloppy, and inhibits adoption.]

(The Help, which knows nothing about "Optimal", calls it "Dynamic page wrap".)

My help text does know about Optimal: it's there under both "Page wrap" and "Dynamic page wrap". (Mind you, I suspect Dynamic page wrap doesn't exist.)

Maybe our confusion arrives from two different Help entries, both labeled "Wrap" [a variant of my peeve, above], in addition to "Wrapping Text Around Objects".

o If you select "Wrapping Text Around Objects", you find that it actually says almost nothing about the options to wrap text around objects; it just provides a couple of avenues to get to those options.

o If you select "Wrap" (first entry), it gives you, in a conceptual mess, explanations for "No wrap", "Page wrap", "Dynamic page wrap", "Wrap through", "In background", "Contour", "Edit Contour", "First paragraph", and "Edit".

o If you select "Wrap" (second entry), it gives you, somewhat more hierarchically, explanations for - "Settings" (with options "None", "Before", "After", "Parallel", "Through" and "Optimal"); - "Options" (with options "First Paragraph", "In Background", "Contour" and "Only outside");
   - "Gaps" (with settings "Left", "Right", "Top", "Bottom").

I'm afraid this whole area, including the semantic confusion about "Dynamic" - "Optimal", may be a conceptual (and possibly code) mess.

But the text does not wrap; nor does it wrap when "Page Wrap" is selected. Is this a known bug?

Only in your experience, I think. It works for me (and apparently for others). I cannot be sure what you are doing wrong. You'll see a problem if the anchoring is As Character, but you say you have selected To Paragraph, which works.

Here's one possibility. If your picture has a caption (but possibly not otherwise: I'm not sure), it is inserted into a frame within the document. The text wraps around that frame, not around the picture itself. ...

Again, conceptually:
Within the text, one selects "Insert|Picture", not "Insert|Frame". Does the application of a caption turn a picture into a frame? If so, how can the picture be subsequently selected apart from the frame?

  If you try hard enough, it is possible to position the picture
to the right whilst leaving the frame spanning the entire page width, in which case the text would not wrap. Is it possible that this is what you have done? The frame is evidenced by its grey outline (unless you have suppressed this).

Actually, what I have is no wrap, regardless whether my selection is "Page Wrap" or "Optimal Page Wrap". Indeed, although the anchor is "Paragraph", Writer seems to have no notion of the boundaries of the picture: a subsequent picture simply overlaps.

John