John Kaufmann wrote:
> In a message dated 2009.09.18 21:48 -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
>> When I first read about styles, it was in an article (book?) written by
>> Solveig Haugland and learned about following page styles.  Also, there
>> is this document:
>> http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/0207WG3-WorkingWithStyles.pdf
>>

> Thanks for the pointer.  One nice thing about it is the discussion of
> conditional paragraph styles (paragraph styles that are instantiated
> differently depending on their context in the document) - which brings
> us full circle to the OP's question: how to set up first page and
> subsequent pages to handle numbering differently.  So far, the only
> class of conditional styles supported by OO is paragraph styles.
> Though OO does not (yet) support it, a conditional page style might,
> for example, have page numbers by default but suppress page numbering
> on the first page.

I thought the idea was that the first page style would not have a page
number in the footer, but subsequent pages would.  As an experiment, I
created a document with first, left & right page styles, with first
leading to left, which leads to right and back to left again.  I then
added footers to the left & right styles and inserted page number fields
into the footers.  I also aligned the right style page number to the
right and left style page numbers to the left.  As I added some text to
the document and forced page breaks, to save typing, I saw there was no
page number on the first page, then a page number on the left of the
second, right on the third, left on the 4th, right on 5th etc.

Bottom line I set up a document with no page number on the first page,
left side page number on left pages and right side page number on right
pages.  Once you've set up the styles & footers, the page numbers appear
as desired.