In a message dated 2009.09.25 15:59 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:

... you could try a workaround of putting the list inside a frame:
You can control the frame's spacing with a style, and it can be
literally embedded inside a paragraph (anchored "as character") to
avoid the paragraph above/below spacing.

You can try a sample here:
http://martnet.com/~jes/temp/List_in_frame.odt

Joe, that sounded like such a good idea at the time...

I hate to be dense, but I just have not been able to make that work.
 - I can make the frame, and put the list in it; so far, so good.
- I can anchor the frame to a character - but which character to make it stay where is belongs, below the pre-list descriptive text? It seems that anywhere I try to insert it, no matter which character I choose as an anchor in the pre-list text, the frame ends up /above/ the pre-list text - unless I put it just past the end-of-paragraph, in which it's already outside the paragraph! [A continuing annoyance: each time I delete the frame to try to reposition it, the text insertion point jumps to the beginning of the document. Besides meaning that I have to laboriously cursor down to the working point again and again, this behavior seems more evidence of an inherent weakness in the document model.]

I thought to examine your example, to see how the frame is anchored and possibly examine style characteristics, but it's read-only, so none of the information is available. Any thoughts?

John