On 09/25/2009 10:58 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
- I can make the frame, and put the list in it; so far, so good.
- I can anchor the frame to a character - but which character to make it
stay where is belongs,  ...

The anchor is "_as_ character," not "_to_ character". An object anchored "as character" will become part of the text layout, acting just like an oversized character.

The structure of the paragraph is:

[text body paragraph...[line-break]
  [frame
    [list paragraph]
    [list paragraph]
  ][line-break]
  ...after text
]

"As character" is a very useful type of anchoring since Writer's other anchoring modes can be somewhat unstable and difficult to manage, as you noticed already. I anchor things "as character" rather than "to paragraph" wherever possible.

I thought to examine your example, to see how the frame is anchored and
possibly examine style characteristics, but it's read-only, so none of
the information is available. Any thoughts?

A 'read-only' document status in OOo is purely advisory: you can toggle the read-only status just by clicking the "Edit File" button on the toolbar--it's about fifth from the left and carries an icon that looks like a pencil and paper.

Once you change to 'read-write' (i.e., normal editing mode), OOo will treat the open document as a new copy and prompt you to save your copy as a local file.

<Joe