John Kaufmann wrote:
This question was occasioned by a corrupted Base file [cf: "Recommended tool for recovering corrupted Base files?"], which led me to analyze the file to try to recover it. The first step is the internal structure of the Base file:

[Configurations2]
[database]
  backup
  data
  log
  properties
  script
[forms]
  [Obj22]
    [Configurations2]
      [floater]
      [images]
        [Bitmaps]
      [menubar]
      [popupmenu]
      [progressbar]
      [statusbar]
      [toolbar]
    content.xml
    settings.xml
    styles.xml
[META-INF]
  manifest.xml
[reports]
content.xml
mimetype
settings.xml

That list is a directory structure, and so is hierarchical. I want to use Writer to make notes about it. [I'm also using Calc to import table values from "[database]/script" - so, in the course of learning about Base, learning a bit more about Writer and Calc - but that is not important to this question.] The problem is how to use Writer to annotate that structured list.

To make the list (without bullets or numbering), I just defined a List style "List without bullets"; that's the easy part. The hard part is the annotation: I want to be able to put a note on each line describing that directory or file, and I would like the notes to line up, as in:

[Configurations2]   Note on [Configurations2]
[database]          Note on [database]
  backup            Note on "backup". Note continues...
                      note continues...
                      note continues...
  data              Note on "data". Note continues...
                      note continues...
                      note continues...
  log               Note on "log". Note continues...

In WordPerfect, even with such a structured list (what WordPerfect calls an "Outline"), one can "Indent" after any list member to a common point on the line, as shown above. I have been wasting a lot of time trying to see how to do this kind of annotation with Writer; can anyone offer a suggestion?

John

I think the cleanest way to accomplish this is with a two-column table. Select column 1 and apply your list style, then enter the list as usual. Column 2 can then hold the annotations, which will stay aligned and flow nicely. You can make the borders invisible and end up with what I think you've described.