John Kaufmann wrote:
In a message dated 2009.10.02 09:27 -0500, Barbara Duprey wrote:

... The hard part is the annotation: I want to be able to put a
note on each line describing that directory or file, and I would
like the notes to line up, as in:

[Configurations2]   Note on [Configurations2]
[database]          Note on [database]
  backup            Note on "backup". Note continues...
                    note continues...
                    note continues...
  data              Note on "data". Note continues...
                    note continues...
                    note continues...
  log               Note on "log". Note continues...

In WordPerfect, even with such a structured list (what WordPerfect calls an "Outline"), one can "Indent" after any list member to a common point on the line, as shown above. I have been wasting a lot of time trying to see how to do this kind of annotation with Writer; can anyone offer a suggestion?

I think the cleanest way to accomplish this is with a two-column table. Select column 1 and apply your list style, then enter the list as usual. Column 2 can then hold the annotations, which will stay aligned and flow nicely...

Sorry -- that might be a bit misleading. You enter the list as usual, except for moving down to the next cell instead of using Enter before each new list item.

Barbara, sorry to be dense, but I'm still not seeing this. With a 2-column table, each list member defines a new row, correct? So then how is the hierarchical list maintained? [I rejected the table approach when I tried this earlier, thinking there must be a way to maintain the structured list.] Is there no way to maintain the structured list while adding annotation?

John

Not dense -- it's an interesting and maybe surprising aspect of the way OOo tables work. If you apply the list style to the column (not just a cell, the column itself) before you start creating the list, then the hierarchy is implemented as you go along by going to the new row of the table, and using the indent/outdent controls the same way that you would in a regular list. The difference is just in where you are creating the list, which is row by row in the table. You could also enter each list item in a new row of a default-type table, then apply the list style to the column, then use the indent/outdent controls to get the hierarchy as you want it. The hierarchy level is essentially implemented the same way whether you're in a table or not.