I don't know that this is unique to OOo, since that's the way Excel (2000)
works as well. I just tried it to refresh my memory, since I rarely use
Excel anymore. However, in Excel, if you try to drag & drop a column, you
get a warning about replacing the data in the target column. In Calc, there
is no warning. The moved column's data silently replaces the old column's
data, leaving a blank column behind.

John