Franz

Many thanks for your response. I conclude with surprise that from what you say, "Draw" cannot erase details, or at least it erases details with difficulty. What does one do when one makes a mistake? "Undo" is a blunt instrument.

I'll go through the Draw tutorial carefully and see if I can find what Draw does. Meanwhile I'll take a look at "the Gimp".

Re: "FREE" and software: I have been an advocate and supporter of the FSF and of free software (as in Stallmann's definition of freedom) since the early 1980s when I heard about Stallmann's EMACS, of the "Free Software Manifesto", of the Free Software Foundation, and of the "copy-left" license. The GNU project's "free" OS components made Linux distributions possible. Without Stallmann and the FSF, the concept of "free" software would have been swallowed up by Bill Gates' and his rapacious attitudes toward business, towards software and its source code.

Again, thanks to you and to all who replied with a tutorial for Draw, other useful suggestions, and alternative tools.
--David

Franz Waldmüller wrote:

[snip]

If you want to erase something out of a picture, I would strongly recommend you to use an application which was designed for this task.
Use "The GIMP" -- free as free beer and free as in freedom.
This is a very powerful application, below are some download links and links to documentation and tutorials:
http://www.gimp.org/windows/
http://www.gimp.org/docs/
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

OpenOffice Draw's draw is more for vector graphics.

If you don't want to install the gimp it is available as a portable application as well (--> then the "installation" is just an extraction of a compressed archive without modifications to the system). Portable applications run entirely in the memory and are slower than installed ones.
Here is the link to gimp portable and a screenshot facility:
http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/lightscreen_portable

One final note: gimp is far more powerful than ms paint. Therefore it requires a little bit of training. But as you mentioned that you take a look at the documentation or the manual you will be well off.

Franz