2010/1/21 Michael Adams :
> On Thursday 21 January 2010 20:09, Prakash Karra wrote:
>> Sir, I have downloaded and installed the Open Office; it seems to work
>> fine. However, I find that its extremely slow to open a blank page or a
>> down loaded document, it takes unusually long time.. Secondly, a saved
>> document (to desk top)  when the PC is started does not open, a message
>> box, that the said doc. is to be retrieved and a command to retrieve often
>> results in failure.. why is that? I had several docs. ,already saved in
>> M.S.Office 2000 Word & excel format, which carry the Open Office icon,
>> which I presume means that these docs. are already in Open Office ready to
>> open format, but do not open readily; it takes  3  -- 4 minutes to read
>> these documents.. Can you please guide me to speed up opening of several
>> docs. like spread sheet sheets, & blank documents, etc. a little more fast?
>> For your information I use a LAN cable with a connection speed of 1 Mb. I
>> look for forward for your advice.
>
> OpenOffice.org latest versions are designed to run best on recent computers
> with lots of speed, space and memory. If you have an older computer and you
> wish more speed, trading off some less common features, legacy copies of the
> program are available.
> http://distribution.openoffice.org/mirrors/#mirrors
> Example:
> ftp://ftp.iitm.ac.in/openoffice/stable
>
> A recent computer with poor memory, slow processor, small or full pagefile, or
> other runaway processes could also cause this issue. For instance Nod32 is
> known to thrash older computers on start-up slowing everything else.
>
> --
> Michael Adams

The question here is  What is exactly poor memory, slow processor or
old computer?  What is slow or fast to open?
I have a Celeron 550MHz with 320MBs of ram and works fine.  It's a
little more slow than previous version but nothing annoying.  The same
machine with 384MBs of ram, and OpenOffice works good.
And we are not talking about super-computer.  But I use Debian
Squeeze.  May be Operating System it's important too.  May be it's
personal views, I found it fine but he found it slow.

Just I left the question to think in it.

Regards
Sylvia