I ask because I have a writer document with a table in it I use to provide
my doctor with a record of my daily blood glucose test data. I use my own
personal time of day notation. It does NOT conform to any formally defined
time format. And as far as I'm concerned, If I don't tell the table to
specifically assume that table cell is supposed to contain a date it
shouldn't be converting it anyway.

It drives me to distraction whenever my date is converted from:

11:20 am to 11:20:00 AM

But as frustrating as that is, it's as nothing compared to the ire I feel
when it's converted from:

1 pm     to 01:00:00 PM

(actually I don't ever want any component of OO.o to ever automatically
convert 'anything' I type, into 'anything else' except during a spell check
operation. And then I would be ticked if it didn't offer me the chance to
tell it to ignore an arbitrary string of characters that may or may not
resemble a word. But there doesn't seem to be a master off switch)

So I took the trouble of editing the blank source document. In which I
selected the entire table and expressly set the number format to text.

That seemed to work, even when I use a shell command to:

$cp /mnt/src/BloodTest-blank.odt /mnt/data/BloodTest-XXX.odt
{Where XXX is the next sequence number of the document(s) involved.}

Except, that I don't always use the same linux installation. And different
distro's have different versions of OO.o in their repositories. And when I
open the above document with OO.o ver 2.4.1 as supplied by my Elive
installation (based on debian lenny) and type in one of my relaxed format
time references it honors the fact that the number format is set to text.
But if instead I open that same new document with OO.o ver 3.1.0.6 as
provided by my Sabayon 4.2 installation and type in my date it will insist
on converting it until/unless I redefine the number format as text again using
said OO.o ver 3.1.0.6... (Unless I'm mistaken I used Elive's version 2.4.1
to initially set the number format of the /mnt/src/BloodTest-blank.odt document)

So while I know how to fix this on a per document basis, I'm curious why
OO.o ver 3.1.0.6 doesn't recognize the fact that OO.o ver 2.4.1 had
previously set the number format to text???