On 2 February 2010 08:35, Gordon <gbpli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/2010 21:25, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>
>> James Wilde wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any easy way to see whether a person is subscribed to the
>>> list? Is the fact that they send a message to the list sufficient -
>>> that is must one be subscribed in order to send messages.
>>>
>>> I ask because I have an idea I have seen mention in here that a person
>>> has not seen a reply since (s)he is not subscribed, but it might just
>>> be on another list I'm subscribed to.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> //James
>>>

>> James;
>> You do not have to be subscribed to this list to post. The best way to
>> see if someone is subscribed or not is to check the headers for the
>> following entry:

>> header it means that the person is not subscribed, conversely the lack
>> of it shows the person is subscribed. You will have to turn all headers
>> in your mail or news client to find this. Hope this helps
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith
>>

> And what about when someone posts via the Gmane Newsgroups?

The e-mail address they use *must* be subscribed to Gmane but *not*
necessarily to the users@ mail list. Replies will be sent to Gmane (via the
list) and, presumably, the user will see them. Messages from Gmane that
arrive in the users@ list have an "X-Injected-Via-Gmane:
http://gmane.org/"header.

Messages from Gmane do *not* have the "Delivered-To moderator ..." header so
any filter you set up based on that header would see them as coming from a
subscribed user and you would not need to take any special action to ensure
s/he sees your reply.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England