At 15:12 03/02/2010 -0500, Gene Kohlenberg wrote:
I am using Windows XP Media Edition which is a special version of XP Professional. Java has updated itself to version 18, and now Openoffice.org claims that the installation is defective. [...] I have had OpenOffice.org repair itself with no success in getting it to recognize Java as being properly installed.

This is a bit of a guess, but have you directed OpenOffice to your new version of Java? Until somewhere like version 6_14 of Java, new versions of Java were simply added to your system and did not replace earlier ones. If you did not modify the settings in OpenOffice, it would continue to use your older version, I think. But installing Java 6_18 will remove a recent older version, and OpenOffice may no longer be able to see any version.

Go to Tools | Options... | OpenOffice.org | Java. Wait for the list to populate. Note that, even if only one version is listed, it has to be explicitly selected with the button on the left in order to be in effect.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker