M Henri Day wrote:
> 2010/2/13 Tom Bell <cbel...@cfl.rr.com>
>

>> M Henri Day wrote:

>> by

>> cursorily

>>> Tom, thanks for your speedy reply ! What OS are you running - the setup I
>>> describe above handles these document files in a fashion that is just
>>> dissimilar enough to render it impossible to apply your instructions - in
>>> particular, I find myself unable add OOo 3.2 or Writer to the list of
>>> programmes in which to open an .odt file....
>>>
>>> Henri
>>>

>> Henri, I am running Kubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 AMD64, so the
>> method I showed should be the same.  What program do you use
>> to view directories/files, Dolphin, Konqueror, ...?
>> I don't understand why the file association is not showing.  You may
>> have to go to a CLI (console) and start the file manager of your
>> choice at administrator using Kdesudo.
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Thanks for posting back, Tom ! KDE and GNOME are hardly identical, but I
> fail to understand why one should give rise to such different results from
> the other. But tell me, in addition to the «OOO320» folder, is a copy of the
> previous «OOO310» folder still found in the relevant directory on your box
> ?...
>
> Henri

One other thought, did you try "sudo apt-get autoremove" or
"sudo apt-get autoclean"?
How about "sudo apt-get purge" ?  This command would need
the complete package name following it, the previous two are
standalone commands at the command line.
Why Gnome and KDE differ is part of the fascination we each
have for our particular interface.  Sometimes the underlying
parts are a little too dissimilar for us to help each other, but you
can always inquire on the Ubuntu fora (plural for forum), since
most of us here are KDE users.
Let me know how it turns out if you do inquire elsewhere for
help.
Good luck!

Tom

--
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman
Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD