Thanks again to everyone who responded to my question.

I fetched OO.o 3.2 and installed it. Installation on my system took about 45 minutes.

My system is runs XP SP3, processor is Sempron 2800+, 1.6 GHz, with 1 GB RAM, and fairly fast hard drives, kept defragmented (Diskeeper). I don't know the front side bus and RAM speeds. (Can someone tell me how to find those numbers, please?) This is not a fast system, but it is quite tolerable.

Loading and creating a blank document when OO.o is not in memory (but with the QuickStarter loaded) and several programs are running takes about 25 seconds, somewhat less time than 3.1.1. After a fresh boot this takes 15 seconds. With OO.o in memory, loading a 1,330 KB document only about 5 seconds. I am very happy with OO.o 3.2 so far. I'll have to see how features are improved.

Warmest Regards,
--David Teague