Dotan Cohen wrote:
In other operating systems an extension is not needed.  I use Linux here,
which does not need the extension.  I also used OS/2, for many years and
again the file extension is not necessary.  It's only Windows that's
crippled in this regard.

What Linux is that which does not need the filename extension? Both
KDE and Gnome need the filename extension to know to open the file
with Open Office.
That's not been my experience. I verified it last night before I posted, by turning off automatic file name extension and creating a file. OOo had no problem opening it, when I clicked on the file. I run the KDE desktop. I can't say either way about Gnome, as I don't use it. I also used OS/2 for many years and it likewise didn't need the extension.