Dotan Cohen wrote:
That's not been my experience.  I verified it last night before I posted, by
turning off automatic file name extension and creating a file.  OOo had no
problem opening it, when I clicked on the file.  I run the KDE desktop.  I
can't say either way about Gnome, as I don't use it.  I also used OS/2 for
many years and it likewise didn't need the extension.

Interesting. On KDE 4.1.1 on my Kubuntu system, if I rename file.odt
to file and click it, nothing happens. If I rename it to file.odt, OOo
opens.

In any case, that is a KDE feature, not a Linux feature. KDE runs on
Windows natively, so any KDE advantage is not a Linux advantage.

I wonder if there's a difference between KDE 4 and 3.x, which I use.