Richard Travers wrote:
In article<4b9c4b23.2050...@rogers.com>, James Knott
<james.kn...@rogers.com>  wrote:
Tanstaafl wrote:
On 2010-03-13 7:23 AM, Daniel Lewis wrote:

       When you save a document for the first time, the Save As window
opens. At the bottom near the middle is a check box. It is labeled
"Automatic file name extension". This should be checked. Normally, it
is, but if you accidentally unchecked it, it will remain unchecked
until you save a document and check the box. Just be sure to look at
this check box when you save a file for the first time. To correct the
files which have this problem, open them in OpenOffice.org and use
"Save As". To do this, click File to open the File menu. Click Save
As. This time make sure that this check box is checked when you save
the file.

Which begs the question - why is that checkbox even there? All it does
is cause this problem (our users have been bit by it a lot too)...

It's a problem in Windows, but not Linux, OS/2 and I expect Mac.  Unlike
other operating systems, Windows still relies on the file extension to
determine the file type.  Is the rest of the world supposed to be stuck
in the past because Microsoft can't get it's act together?

I know I'm going to regret this, but I'll ask anyway.

What exactly is wrong with using an extension to identify a file type? It is
a simple, straightforward system that works. Also it does have a couple of
advantages, as far as I can see, one being that it makes it immediately
obvious from the file name what application is needed to open that file, the
other that it makes it possible to use the same file name (eg all relating
to one project) on a number of files with different extensions.

As far as I can see, there are only three possible ways of identifying a
file type. One is to add an extension, one is to embed a coded file type
within the file, the third is to rely purely on the structure of the file to
identify it. Options two and three both rely on either the OS or an
installed application to identify the file which can cause problems if it is
either a new file type that the OS hasn't met before, or a file type for
which there is no installed application to handle.

I should perhaps add three things to deflect some of the flack. Firstly,
most of my work is done on an operating system (RISC OS) that uses embedded
file types, so I'm totally familiar with the advantages (?) and
disadvantages of such a system. Secondly, I use that OS daily under
emulation on a Windows XP box which, in my experience, is not particularly
unstable (I can't remember the last time it crashed). True Windows is the
system that attracts (well it would, wouldn't it) and is vulnerable to
viruses, but the risk is small provided appropriate precautions are taken.
Thirdly, whatever you say about how good Linux is (and I do have a Linux
box, a small netbook which is a pleasure to use), merely reading this list
tells me that Linux is not a trouble free environment by any means. It comes
across as a computer system for techies with a very steep learning curve.
Not for me, I think, nor for anyone else who just wants to turn the computer
on and go.

I'll get my coat...

R.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!! And yes I am YELLING this at the top of my lungs. STOP IT!!!!! The problem which started this very long thread was that the OP may have accidentally unchecked the "Automatic file name extension" box. The solution suggested was to make sure this box is always checked when saving a file for the first time or when doing a Save As. The OP was not subscribed to this list, and not everyone who made a suggestion of a solution was willing to CC the OP. Why can't the people who seem to know so much about the OS they use can not create a simple filter in their email client so they know whether to CC the OP or not? Some of us have already created this filter, most don't for whatever reason. I thought this mailing list is here to help people. Doesn't that mean that our replies are suppose to help the person who asked the question? I thought so. Rather than the rant over the superiority of one OS over another, why hasn't someone filed an issue concerning the way we want this checkbox to work? Why hasn't that person then reported back to this mailing list stating what the issue number is so that others can make their comments about the issue as well? That would be helping. Or is it just easier to rant about something that is off topic? Stick to the topics which relate to OOo. Consider this: if a OOo newbie had recently subscribed to this mailing list, what would their opinion be of the members of this list? Would they think it worthwhile to remain a member of this list? How much information would they think they could get here that involved OOo?

Dan

--
My 2ยข