At 18:47 18/04/2010 +0100, Aonly Gonly wrote:
Is there anyway I can embed an existing Writer document into another *.odt document, such that it exists in the second document as an icon. When double-clicked it would open up the embedded document?

At present when I do Insert => object => OLE and then I create from file the "embedded" document colonises the document that I am trying to embed into ... basically like a glorified copy-and-paste of the content. I only want the file embedded and double clicked to open ... like an attachment. I know that MS Office Word can do this, but don't see any way of doing this in OOo.

o  Go to Insert | Hyperlink.
o  In the left panel, select Document.
o  Under Document, click the Open File button (to the right of the Path box).
o  Browse to and select the required document.
o  Under "Further settings", against Form, select Text or Button as desired.
o  Against Text, enter the text to appear as the link or in the link button.
o  Click Apply and Close.

For a text hyperlink:
o  To use, Ctrl+click the hyperlink text.

For a button hyperlink:
o Right-click the button and use the context menu items to control position, size, anchoring, wrapping, and so on.
o  Go to View | Toolbars > | Form Controls.
o  Click Design Mode On/Off to turn Design Mode off.
o  To use, click the button.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker