[Continuing top post for this discussion-- sorry! Thomas, bottom posting is generally preferred here because the list archives are easier to read that way.]

You're very welcome to any help I can give, it's what this list is for. No, your data files would not be affected in any way by installation/uninstallation activities. And if OOo itself is damaged, some degree of that will certainly be required; at worst, you would need to completely uninstall and reinstall it. What operating system and version are you using, and what version of OOo? Anything that gets you into the OOo install or uninstall process should let you select a Repair option, there's no special expertise required.

Thomas Steel wrote:
I am most grateful that you are trying to help. But surely the routine you suggest ( which alas, I don't think I'd have the expertise to do) would destroy the content of the file? TS

From: "Barbara Duprey" <b...@onr.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 11:00 PM
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Subject: Re: [users] incomprehensible error message

Thomas Steel wrote:
Further to my earlier plea, I should have explained that I get just the same error message when I open a previously backed up version of the file, so there can't be anything wrong with the file---but somehow in the process. It is quite a small file, so the reference to 30,000 columns is nonsense. Does the word 'sub-document' offer any clue?--it means nothing to me. TS

Just saw this follow-up. The "sub-document" term refers to the fact that the saved file is actually a zipped collection of smaller files that together make up the full document. Have you tried a system restart? If that doesn't help, since the same error happens with your backups, OOo itself may be damaged. If you end all the OOo applications, including the Quickstarter if any, and then start the installation again, you should see a "Repair" option that might help. If you have the unzipped files from the original installation, setup.exe is the program you want, or you can go through the beginning of an uninstall (for instance, through the Windows Add/Remove Programs function).