>     Is the photo and textbox inside a frame?

The photo got there via Insert -> Picture -> From File. The textbox
was part of the Slide Layout. I dragged the photo to the dimensions
that I wanted (centered in the slide, about 80% of the slide's area)
and I tried dragging the textbox over it, but the textbox is
stubbornly remaining beneath the photo.

> Or, is the textbox layered on
> top of the photo?

The textbox seems to be in a layer below the photo.

> Where is the textbox in relation with the boundaries of
> the photo? (At the bottom, on the right, on the left, or in the middle?)

At the bottom.

> Do
> you want the top of the textbox to be lined up with the top of the photo?
> Or, is this photo and textbox layered, and you want to arrange the textbox
> to be in front of the photo (lays on top of the photo)?

I wish to arrange the textbox to be in front of (on top of) the photo.

>     I'm just not sure what you want to do. Right off the top of my head, I
> would click the textbox to select it. Its border should appear with the
> handles. Then I use the arrow keys to move it where I want it to appear.

I do that, and it works. However, when I release all selections, the
photo obscures the textbox.

> (The cursor could be used to move the textbox as well.) This may or may not
> work depending upon the answer to my questions above.
>
> Dan

A sample file is here:
http://dotancohen.com/images/examples/test-layering.odp

In the sample file, the textbox is slightly to the left, and the photo
is slightly to the right, so that they do not overlap. This is the
only way to arrange the slide such that the textbox is accessible (can
be focused with the mouse).

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen