Keith Bates wrote:

I'm pretty sure that all recent versions of OO have asked the question,
even though plenty of people still miss it. check the version number
you are runnning. If it's less than 1.1.4 you have a very old version.

Actually, all versions of OOo *asked* the question--but early versions' installation programs defaulted to having the boxes checked to take over the file associations. In recent versions (including 1.1.4), the boxes are *NOT* checked by default and users have to check the boxes during installation.

What I suspect is happening is that users are reading too quickly when the question comes up and believe they need to check those boxes so that OOo *can* open Word, Excel and PowerPoint files and/or will do so without asking them ("automatically" convert them if OOo tries to open them). Also, many of these users have no clue what the question is asking--note that most of these posts we see suggest that OO has somehow rendered the files unusable by Word, since it appears the only way they ever open a file is by double clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and have no clue about File->Open. So the thought they have is "of course, I want OOo to be able to read Word files" and they click merrily on each box, then are horrified as they now believe OOo has either removed Word from their machine or rendered all files inaccessible to Word.

Back in the "old days" when the default was the other way, the posts in this area normally complained specifically about changing the file associations--those posters had "blown by" the screen in question, but generally knew the problem was not that files could not be opened by Word but that they were now associated with OOo. The change "fixed" the problem for that group, but the true "technologically challenged" are still confused--and, frankly, short of not having OOo offer to be associated with those files at all, I don't know how you avoid the problem. And, if you think about it, if OOo did not offer to take over those files, these same people would complaining about why OOo won't open Word files even though the website says it will...<grin>