Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 9 June 2010 00:42, RA Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
I think I understand what your looking for and I like the idea.  The ODT and
ODS files both contain several documents already.  The sub-document, for
lack of a better term, named content.xml is the actual data that is entered.
 In ODS -all- the "sheets" are that one document not individual files.


Andy, I am not talking about extracting the text files files inside an
unzipped ODT file. Or purposes of this discussion it does not matter
that ODF is not a compressed binary.

I understand that completely

Files are things that you can drag around in your file manager.
Documents are things that you can print.

I understand that as well. The problem is that the actual file does contain several documents.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an expenses.ods file that would have one
spreadsheet for your home expenses, another for your business
expenses, and a third for your hobby expenses? You can do that today,
in OOo Calc. They are called sheets.

Yes, but all those "sheets" are contained in one document within the file.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an expenses.odt file that would have one
document that listed your home expenses, another that listed your
business expenses, and a third that listed your hobby expenses? Why
have three different ODT files for these related documents? How about
multiple-language resumes? Why must I keep an English resume in a
separate file from my Hebrew resume? Why can't they both be in the
same ODT file, just as multiple spreadsheets can be stored in a single
ODS file.

In fact it would be great to have the feature. The only thing is that it would be what some have called "tabbed" to work the same way that Calc works.

The way your original message sounded is that you wanted something like the way gedit works, being able to open several documents in to one open application.

Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to