Tom Bell - cbel...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
On 06/12/2010 07:53 AM, openoffice.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:

I don't see any technical reason that several ODF documents couldn't
be stored within a single file. It could perhaps be as simple as a new
document type which is a zip file (as other ODF files are) within
which is a directory for each document with the current structure of
that document type. Such a file type would presumably have to go
through the standardisation process.

If several .ODF documents are added to a single archive file (e.g.,
.ZIP) then the
unarchiver program can open the archive and display the contents.
You have only to click on the file you wish to open in OOo and
it opens without having to save to disk.
This is the case in both Windows and Linux today, so why
would it be included into another standard?
This is true regardless of document type.
Thank you!

Tom

For what it's worth, I agree, and made a similar suggestion yesterday in a previous post to this thread. Personally I just put related files in folders and don't even bother zipping them, unless sending them to someone else or making them available for download.

However, the suggestion being discussed is to have OpenOffice (and potentially other ODF software) treat the documents as a single file when opening, saving etc. So all the related documents would be opened together in a single OOo window, with a tab for each, and all would be closed together. I don't see much practical use for that myself, but others seem to be more convinced.

I'd certainly draw the line at including any more than ODF documents in such a file. Storing any arbitrary types of document within a single file is most definitely what zip, tar, etc. are for, and OOo couldn't be expected to do anything sensible with document types it doesn't support (nor could any other software).

Mark.