Rob Clement wrote:
On 05/07/2010 02:05, Jean wrote:
Hi Rob

Sorry if this wasn't supposed to go to you, but I was so upset when I
wrote this letter, I didn't care who got it! I went to open office and
clicked on contact us.My system is Windows Vista Home Premium and it
came on the computer when I bought it in December 2009. I'm a new
computer user, and to be honest with you, so far I'm not impressed with
the program! After I down loaded the 3.2, I can't even open Open
office.org writer. It deleted the old program and didn't replace it with
anything!

Again - my apologies for blowing off steam!!
Jean
<snip>
The installation process went far enough to delete the old version, but there is no OpenOffice.org folder in your Start menu any more? I take it there were no error messages, right? There's something very strange here, a lot of people have installed on similar configurations without any problems. Something seems to have jinxed you pretty well! All I can say is that the folks on this list will try to help with any problems, and your experience is most definitely not typical!

I've been using OOo heavily for years, and I've had a problem like the one you originally had (previously saved files vanishing from their disk locations) twice, so I know how infuriating it can be! Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to investigate because it can't be reproduced on demand -- only a very careful review of the code could find the bug (and there are many millions of lines). It was certainly a terrible first experience, though!