On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 00:51, Andrew Fisk  wrote:

>You really expect a grammar checker that works in 92 languages?

Back around 2000, I came across a critter that claimed to check
grammar in 150+ languages. It reality, it checked grammar in about
twenty languages.  The 130 others that it checked were localized
dialects of those languages.

In theory, Language Tool, or any other grammar checker can be
configured to check grammar in the languages that localized versions
of OOo are available in.

The major stumbling block for Language Tool, or any other grammar
checker, is writing the rules for each language.  For some languages
that OOo ships in, just writing that rule set could be the subject of
an MA Thesis.

Given how "After the Deadline" functions, the only thing that is
unreasonable about it currently working in 92 languages, is that it is
still in beta, and as such, I wouldn't be surprised if, two or three
years from now, it could check grammar in more than one thousand
languages.

jonathon
--
Personal email to this account is automatically forwarded to Dave
Null, and goes unread by any human.