On 08/31/2010 10:50 PM, Bob Knepper wrote:
You said>The issue is whether or not the individual is willing to invest the time
into learning how to use OOo,<

And this is exactly what I tell people while we are gearing up for a project using MS Word. The bottom line is that if you move to a new product, that is the truth of the matter. I see this over and over every time a new version of Windows or Word is released (I can't tell you how many hours I have already lost dealing with the new security paradigm in Windows 7 as opposed to XP).

On average, if I throw OOo into the face of a casual user, I expect them to be comfortable in a week. A very advanced user close to a month (because they have so much more to learn).

It is just wrong to assume that any competing product is obvious or intuitive. I have blown long periods of time trying to accomplish things in competing products (while using "expert users") that I was able to just do in OOo. It becomes obvious because you learn the general paradigm.

I am not arguing that OOo is easy and obvious in all areas after you learn the paradigm (mailing labels style annoy me every time I do them), just that I think that the statement above is absolutely correct.

This condesending response to Seamas O Brogain may be true but contributes to
the negative opinions.   I'm sorry because I had planned to use OOo, and may
still.

I missed the comments. Couldn't say if they were condescending or not; hope not...

Bob Knepper

Well Bob, if you opt to jump in, you will find some exciting new capabilities, and strongly miss a few of your favorite features from your current product; it is always so.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm