Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:

If it can be provided, how do you know it won’t do me any good?

If you can create a XML document using a text editor such as EdLine, that validates against the standard that you are writing, then you should be using the XML mode of VI.

But, more to the point, it is patently obvious that you are completely oblivious to what the formatting tool bar in OOo does display.

This is one of the most frequently requested absent features of Openoffice

Only by those who haven't bothered to learn how to use OOo.

would be hugely useful to those who work professionally with text, such as writers and editors.

_ALL_ of the functionality that reveal codes offered WP users is currently available in OOo. The issue is whether or not the individual is willing to invest the time into learning how to use OOo, or if they want to treat OOo as a fancy typewriter, and do all of the presentation markup manually.

>Making visible the points at which styles and formatting attributes begin and end would be a very significant control

If those formatting attributes were done manually, then you have somebody who doesn't know how to use styles.

for those editing a text or preparing it for publication.

That is why you use styles.

>have “phantom” styles and attributes, such as an opening tag followed by a closing tag with no significant text in between,
duplicated tags, and tags for styles that are no longer required.

What you are describing there, are either artifacts from not using styles, but trying to emulate them by doing the markup by hand, or the end product of tools that didn't know how to correctly implement styles in the first place.

>These can make texts unnecessarily complex and cause headaches for editor and typesetter.

Which is why the first thing to do is save the document as plain text, and then redo all of the formatting using the specific set of styles that are needed. (This is something that every experienced editor knows to do, when they receive content that has been converted from two or more different programs.)

I have one complex text that only one person ever worked on

What you describe is a compiler that either never bothered how to learn to use their tools, or else never bother to use their tools correctly.

a simulation of this feature is possible by means of a macro, as proved by the fact that it has been done.

And if you really paid attention to what Ian's macro displayed, and also really paid attention to what the formatting tool bar displayed, you'd know that the sole difference between the two was that Ian used words, and the tool bar uses icons. And you'd also know where and how to fix any markup problems you found.

understand correctly) allowed them to be deleted.

Ian's macro did not enable one to edit, delete, or add anything to the presentation markup.

jonathon