Wow! Someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning.

> If you can create a XML document using a text editor such as EdLine,
> that validates against the standard that you are writing, then you
> should be using the XML mode of VI.

I ”should” be using it, should I? What if I’m an editor working for a
publishing company that receives texts from people of widely varying
standards but all in Microsoft Word format, which I edit in Openoffice,
then save again in Microsoft format for the publisher?

> But, more to the point, it is patently obvious that you are completely
> oblivious to what the formatting tool bar in OOo does display . . .

> Only by those who haven't bothered to learn how to use OOo . . .

Wrong again. I’m a very proficient user (modesty prevents me saying an
expert user) of Openoffice.

> The issue is whether or not the individual
that’s me
> is willing to invest the time into learning how to use OOo, or if they
> want to treat OOo as a fancy typewriter, and do all of the presentation
> markup manually.

Or whether the individual works for a living and uses the procedures
dictated by their employers (or that are conventional in a particular
industry).

> If those formatting attributes were done manually, then you have
> somebody who doesn't know how to use styles.

Correct! That’s the person whose document I have inherited and which I
have to correct, clean up, standardise . . .

Well, that’s enough unpleasantness for one day.

And to those (Johnny, Andrew, etc.) who actually helped, and those who
offered encouragement in helping to make Openoffice even better: thank
you very much. I am deeply grateful.

Séamas Ó Brógáin