On 10/28/2010 12:05 AM, webmas...@krackedpress.com wrote:

> So I am wondering if OpenOffice.org is now a corporate software without
> non-Oracle personnel part of the community council?

There are still a couple of people on the council whose salary is not
paid by Oracle.

> it looks like only Oracle employees are involved in the decision

That isn't anything new.

>Do we the user base have any say in the product anymore,

Any say that the users had, whilst OOo was run by Sun, was purely
illusionary.

> Who is now in charge of the code our volunteers contribute?

If it goes into the OOo cvs system, Oracle.  If it goes into the
LibreOffice, Go-OO, OxygenOffice, etc cvs system, the community.

> Who "owns" the rights to the code that is summit?

Under the current contribution agreement, Oracle owns all rights to the
code that is contributed to their cvs system.

> Oracle employees in control of the "open source" code, is it truly open

Code contributed by Oracle is open source _only_ if it is in OpenOffice.org.

> even the code that was provided by non-Oracle sources.

Technically, the code in OOo is open source, but with Oracle as the sole
copyright owner.   As such, there is nothing that the contributors can
legally do, to prevent Oracle from declaring OOo 4.0 to be closed
source, proprietary, and by the way you have to pay US$90 per license,
with a 100 license minimum.

> Is this why more and more organizations are praising LibraOffice in their
> "independent" model for the future of the OpenOffice.org code base?

Partially.

> Will there be a split in the community on who really represents the "spirit"
> of what OpenOffice.org is/was all about?

That depends upon how soon, if ever, Oracle FLOSS, and that their
attempt to outright own it, will result in them losing whatever they
tried to own.

IOW, their purchase of Sun might well end up being a multi-billion
dollar loss for Oracle, because of Oracle's gross mismanagement practices.

> I do hope that Oracle will foster non-employee members as a part
> of the community council.  I do hope there will be a real openness
> in the future of the Oracle's ownership/stewardship of the software
> that has the name of OpenOffice.org.

>  This software is now 10 years old.

Star-Writer 1.0 was released in 1984.
That makes it twenty six years old.

>  They do an bashing ad about how bad it is for a company to switch to
OpenOffice.org.

I guess you didn't notice that every source cited in that add were
organizations that said:"we are addicted to MSO and as such, have to
have it to fulfil our drug dependency on MSO.

> why is there so many  different version [forks] of the software

* Ulteo correlates to Office Web Apps;
* Kids4OOo correlates to the MSO Student Edition;
* OOoLight correlates to MSO Home Edition;
* OOo correlates to MSO Standard Edition;
* Go-OO correlates to MSO Professional Edition.
* LibreOffice correlates to MSO Professional Edition;
* OxygenOffice correlates to MSO Academic Edition;
* EuroOffice correlates to MSO Professional Plus Edition;

IOW, if Microsoft starts making any noises about OOo forks, people can,
and will lambast them for making so many different editions of MSO.

> all telling the community we are the better one to use instead of the
original one.

The only fork that one might argue makes that claim is the one
controlled by Oracle, and not part of the Education project.   The other
forks either ignore the issue or else say: "This is what we added" or
"This is what we removed", or "This is what we tune it for".

>Why Go-oo instead of OOo/Debian, and now LibreOffice.

Go-OO typically includes functions and capabilities several point
versions before they are incorporated into OOo.

>As I said Microsoft must be laughing

Microsoft is laughing so hard that in 2009 they felt compelled to hire
people whose job description is to  castigate, and attempt to dissuade
people from using OOo, flat out lying whenever "necessary".

You don't pay people whose sole job function is to attack the
competition, unless that competition is cutting off your oxygen supply,
and other tactics, both legal and illegal, have failed to stem the
haemorrhaging.

jonathon
--
No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
It all gets forwarded to /dev/null