On Fri Dec 10 2010 12:13:38 GMT-0800 (PST)  Douglas Hinds wrote:
Todd Goatley suggested:

Try Adobe Reader. You can save the doc in text, then open it in OO.

Thank you for your response, but:

Adobe Acrobat Reader is a Windows Program, and

There are versions of Adobe Reader for Linux as well. Available from the Ubuntu repositories.

Saving to a text file (equivalent to extracting the text) means that
I lose both the graphics and the rest of the page formatting, which

Is not really what I was hoping for.  I was hoping for a faithful
reproduction of the pdf file in an editable format.

Have you tried looking at the Ubuntu repositories? There is one there called PDF Editor . It is listed under the Graphics programs but it seems to work. It does not dot save to the ODF format so any editing will have to be done within PDF Editor.

HTH
Andy