Twayne suggested:

> If you have OCR, perhaps you can feed the documents to your OCR and get both
> the images and text back that way. Just a passing thought.

That might prove useful (and the Mint Software Manager lists a
number of them) but would be far more complicated than a pdf
to .doc or .rtf conversion application because:

1.- OCR apps are usually not fully accurate (and I have to convert
    a LOT of pdf files); and

2.- It assumes that most pdf files are graphics files at bottom,
    which is often not the case.

In fact, a pdf file generated by a scanner will NOT convert to a
word processor document (EXCEPT in the manner you suggest) but the
vast majority of pdf files are NOT graphics files but rather,
DOCUMENT files (hence the name, portable document format) and will
convert quite readily to text plus graphics layouts, using a proper
converter.

Remember that PDF is an Adobe format and so is Postscript.

Applications that convert Postscript to PDF and Vice Versa exist but
I am still investigating the available options and haven't installed
any yet.

Whatever I discover I'll post here.

Douglas Hinds