On 01/03/11 05:33, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
> I have a strange problem with PDFs made with Openoffice on Linux (Ubuntu
> 10.10). Wherever there is an en rule (the short dash used in a span of
> numbers: Unicode 2013), in the PDF it takes the shape of (or is replaced
> with) a dash (Unicode 2014), though it retains the spacing of the
> narrower character, so that the dash runs through the following
> character. Everything is fine in the original Openoffice document: it
> happens only when it’s exported as a PDF. And the result is the same
> whether I export directly from within Openoffice or print to file as
> Postscript and then create the PDF with ps2pdf.
>
> Obviously the prime suspect would seem to be the font. So I tried with
> several different fonts, to discover that some do and some don’t. Then I
> tried the same fonts in different applications, such as Gedit, and the
> PDFs are all perfect, for all fonts.
>
> I wonder if anyone can offer any clues.
Try adding CUPs PDF as your printer of PDF files.
That is what I use for Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit.

I do not know is it is the internal export system to PDF or not.  If you
print the PDF file using the CUPs PDF printing system and you do not
get that error, then it is the exporting system internal to OOo.

I would go to the Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for cups pdf.
That will get you started.