On 04/01/11 13:22, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
Well, I may have found the problem (thanks to Mike’s kind offer to look
at samples), and it’s intriguing (and slightly embarrassing). I think
it’s a memory problem.

I’m using an oldish computer with insufficient memory. I made up a
sample page, using a variety of fonts, including commercial fonts and
some I made myself. I made PDFs with three different procedures (export
directly from Openoffice, print to PS file for conversion with ps2pdf,
and CUPS-PDF). All were perfect.

Then I made a PDF of a document I am editing: about 350 pages (500 kb).
The fault was there. Then I made a PDF just of the offending page. The
fault is not there.

It seems a strange way for Openoffice to react to insufficient memory
(and it doesn’t do anything else strange, as far as I can tell), and yet
this seems the only explanation of the empirical evidence.

Offhand, I'd say that's rather unlikely. Lack of main memory may make the system thrash wildly and run like a snail or even hang up; lack of swap may crash some (poor) app's. I've never known wrong results like yours though.

Thanks to all for your kind help. Time to start hinting about a new
computer.

(This is written on a now-dated Athlon [2.4+, I think!], with all of 768Mb main memory. Works just fine except for editing big images.)

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England