Well, I may have found the problem (thanks to Mike’s kind offer to look
at samples), and it’s intriguing (and slightly embarrassing). I think
it’s a memory problem.

I’m using an oldish computer with insufficient memory. I made up a
sample page, using a variety of fonts, including commercial fonts and
some I made myself. I made PDFs with three different procedures (export
directly from Openoffice, print to PS file for conversion with ps2pdf,
and CUPS-PDF). All were perfect.

Then I made a PDF of a document I am editing: about 350 pages (500 kb).
The fault was there. Then I made a PDF just of the offending page. The
fault is not there.

It seems a strange way for Openoffice to react to insufficient memory
(and it doesn’t do anything else strange, as far as I can tell), and yet
this seems the only explanation of the empirical evidence.

Thanks to all for your kind help. Time to start hinting about a new
computer.