On 01/05/11 16:48, RA Brown wrote:
> On Wed Jan 05 2011 13:12:14 GMT-0800 (PST)  webmas...@krackedpress.com
> wrote:
>
>> I needed to know some info about updating/upgrading OOo in Ubuntu, since
>> I no longer use the repository version and its upgrading system.
>>
>> Can I get away with just running the .deb files and not worry about
>> removing
>> and then reinstalling the desktop-integration [i.e. menus]?  I had to do
>> a complete
>> uninstall, including the menus, so I did not get any errors when I
>> installed the
>> Oracle version of OOo instead of the Go-oo version in the repository.
>>
>> So can I just install the deb files and skip the desktop-integration?
>>

> To keep from having problems with the desktop-integration you will
> have to only install one version of OOo.  I have Go-oo 3.2 from the
> Ubuntu repository and when I installed any of the OOo RCs I have the
> same problem.  If your going to run the straight OOo then there should
> be no problem.  I always remove the installed RC using the Package
> Manager before installing the next one.  Then use the dpkg -i command
> to install the next.
>
> HTH
>
> Andy
I know that when I wanted to go from the Go-oo to the OOo version, I had
to remove the original package completely as well as the menus.  It
seemed that there was something wrong if I did not remove the original
package first and completely.  I even had to remove the .openoffice.org
folder as well, since something caused the default document to crash and
not repair properly.

So that was when I installed - finally - this version of OOo.  I did not
know if I would have any problems when the next version came out, such
as the menus and such.  I still have not reinstalled all of the
extensions I use to use with the old Go-oo version that I started using
since I came to Ubuntu back in Feb '10 on this machine.  I may have to
do a complete reinstall of Ubuntu to solve a problem with one of my
software that seemed to have lost a dependency that was not fixed by all
the other means in the terminal's options that I found.  So this might
have been a mute point.

To be fair, I also have LibreOffice 3.3.0.1 RC something installed as
well, since I wanted to see what it was all about.  I may remove it
after OOo 3.3.0.x comes out of RC.  Or I may just have it there as a
spare ODF suite if there is trouble with my copy of OOo, so I can finish
my work and then fix the problem.  I had to install KOffice the last
time that happened and I use Ubuntu's version of GNOME instead of KDE,
so this time I will have something a little closer to OOo whenever there
is another problem that requires a reinstall and I am in the middle of a
big project and close to my deadline.