On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 19:43 -0500, webmas...@krackedpress.com wrote:
> On 01/05/11 16:48, RA Brown wrote:
> > On Wed Jan 05 2011 13:12:14 GMT-0800 (PST)  webmas...@krackedpress.com
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I needed to know some info about updating/upgrading OOo in Ubuntu, since
> >> I no longer use the repository version and its upgrading system.
> >>
> >> Can I get away with just running the .deb files and not worry about
> >> removing
> >> and then reinstalling the desktop-integration [i.e. menus]?  I had to do
> >> a complete
> >> uninstall, including the menus, so I did not get any errors when I
> >> installed the
> >> Oracle version of OOo instead of the Go-oo version in the repository.
> >>
> >> So can I just install the deb files and skip the desktop-integration?
> >>

> > To keep from having problems with the desktop-integration you will
> > have to only install one version of OOo.  I have Go-oo 3.2 from the
> > Ubuntu repository and when I installed any of the OOo RCs I have the
> > same problem.  If your going to run the straight OOo then there should
> > be no problem.  I always remove the installed RC using the Package
> > Manager before installing the next one.  Then use the dpkg -i command
> > to install the next.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Andy
> I know that when I wanted to go from the Go-oo to the OOo version, I had
> to remove the original package completely as well as the menus.  It
> seemed that there was something wrong if I did not remove the original
> package first and completely.  I even had to remove the .openoffice.org
> folder as well, since something caused the default document to crash and
> not repair properly.
>
> So that was when I installed - finally - this version of OOo.  I did not
> know if I would have any problems when the next version came out, such
> as the menus and such.  I still have not reinstalled all of the
> extensions I use to use with the old Go-oo version that I started using
> since I came to Ubuntu back in Feb '10 on this machine.  I may have to
> do a complete reinstall of Ubuntu to solve a problem with one of my
> software that seemed to have lost a dependency that was not fixed by all
> the other means in the terminal's options that I found.  So this might
> have been a mute point.
>
> To be fair, I also have LibreOffice 3.3.0.1 RC something installed as
> well, since I wanted to see what it was all about.  I may remove it
> after OOo 3.3.0.x comes out of RC.  Or I may just have it there as a
> spare ODF suite if there is trouble with my copy of OOo, so I can finish
> my work and then fix the problem.  I had to install KOffice the last
> time that happened and I use Ubuntu's version of GNOME instead of KDE,
> so this time I will have something a little closer to OOo whenever there
> is another problem that requires a reinstall and I am in the middle of a
> big project and close to my deadline.

     If you are already using OOo from the OOo website, then your system
is like mine. (Ubuntu 32 and 64 bit) I use a script to install OOo:

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/(user)/Downloads/OOo/OOO330_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9556/DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration/
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Extract the installation files. In the second line, list the location of
the OOo installation files instead of the location I use. Save these 5
lines as a text file with a meaningful name. Change the file's
permission to make it executable. Open a terminal window. Run this
script file. You will be asked for your user password. Enter it, and the
script should install OOo and update the Office section of the Main
Menu.

Dan