Lisa,

I cannot comment on how the mac install functions, but in the Windows Install, if you desire OOo to be the default for file types other than OOo file types, then you must explicitly state this during the install. So, if you were using a windows computer I would say that this occurred specifically because you told it to. Note that this is an easy (and common) error to make. Many years ago, this was the default and you had to uncheck it if you did not want it, now, you must check it if you do.