Lisa,

I just tried it on my Mac and it works as advertised. The only thing I can
think of is that you are trying the "Open with" from a right click on the
file name, rather than opening the Get Info window first. It is true that,
when you click Open with and select an alternate application you can only
select "Always open with" for that document. However, in Get Info, you will
also see a button labeled "Change All..." which will change file
associations for all files of that type.

jomali