On 06/15/2011 01:16 AM, Klaus Muth wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Running OpenOffice.org 2.3 (don't ask me to upgrade - same Problem with
> 3.2) on a X11 terminal server client for about 40 users on my site. Worked
> without problems for years, beginning with StarOffice and over several
> updates.
>
> Since last week of april all users here report the same problem: OOo stops
> to updates it's windows - it's possible to save all work by typing Ctrl-S
> in all open windows and then type Ctrl-Q. The progress bar is visible in a
> completely garbled window (remains of other windows, background etc.)
> After starting OOo new the problem has vanished.
>
> This happens - depending on usage - several times a day and is really
> annoying. I found no method to trigger the problem so far - there seems to
> be no rule: The problem may not show up the whole day or short after
> starting OOo, with one or several OOo windows, on intel and nv X11 driver,
> on eeeBox and Fujitsu hardware.
>
> This is only on this site - I've got 10 more installations without
> problems.
>
> I tried already:
> - change the terminal client hardware
> - disable all acceleration in client
> - remove .Xauthority and .ICEauthority in user dirs
> - use newer OOo
> - reboot terminal server
>
> Please point me in the right direction what logs to provide, whom to ask or
> what to try else - I'm getting desperate!
>
> Last notice: There is no MS Windows or MacOS involved - this is a pure
> Linux site. The terminals connect via xdcmp/X11.

I suppose you meant 'xdmcp'. What linux distribution? What terminal
server/client versions? Does it only happen with OOo, or do other
applications also experience the same problem?

Have you checked the network bandwidth? Given that xdmcp uses no
encryption and no compression (and therefore is inherently insecure)
that's the first place that I'd look. Second place would be to see if
the terminal server & client station has sufficient memory, and/or
pixmap caching issues.

As an experiment, you might want to try NX/FreeNX instead on a few
terminals and see if that works (secure + compression).

This may (or may not) be of help:
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6-RC1/doc/man/man1/xdm.1.xhtml