On 01/09/2011 22:23, . wrote:

On 09/01/2011 04:29 PM, Mike Scott wrote:
On 01/09/11 20:43, . wrote:
How can I configure Oo Writer to make automatic backups on the current
document I'm working on?

I really would suggest trying the help file first before asking in a
public forum. The explanation there seems quite clear, and takes a
whole 10 seconds to find.

Just search for 'backups'

I already did and it does not work. I like Oo but a lot of the problems
that occur aren't because of user error- some of the functions simply
don't work.

Then you should have said so, and said what 'does not work'.

However, I'll grant that the help system on the XP machine I'm writing this on (running OOo 3.1.1) has a less comprehensive search facility than the ubuntu system I was using yesterday (I can't remember the OOo version).

But nevertheless you seem to have found the relevant place to look; and if neither option 'always create backup' and 'autosave every...' is what you're after, you'll have to be more explicit.

Tell me- why is it on these "help" forums do so some people get told
essentially to "solve your problems yourself?" Rather than being

Because a lot of people apparently simply can't be bothered to look for themselves. There's an old adage about feeding a man, and teaching him to feed himself -- and I don't see that being told to use the help system is exactly out of order. Google is quite useful too.

beligerant why not just delete the email? I came here looking for help
AFTER I read and tried the "help" file. I already tried the following
and the thing doesn't work. Oo will not make backup copies of my work no
matter what I check off or what path I provide.

As I indicated above, you need to be clear about the problem. If you ask the wrong question, you're going to get the wrong answer.

So
0. Read and Google as much as possible
1. Ask what the /real/ problem is
2. Say what you tried and what happened (or not)
3. Give O/S and OOo versions

Oh, and
4. DO NOT reply directly to list contributors unless there's a singularly good reason. List etiquette is always that communications go via the list; it's what it's for. I for one do not wish to be drowned in a sea of email from all and sundry who think I might like a spare copy of something I'll see anyway. Thank you.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England