I was collaborating with a man who lives in Naples, Italy to write a dictionary. Each page was in two columns and each page had a heading at the top of the page with the left side having the first word in the left column and right side having the last word in the right column, something very usual to dictionaries. Well, headers didn't work so he used frames which seemed to work OK when I opened them in OOo. The final result was that Word and Writer did not render the same file exactly the same. With exactly the same page format, there were always a very large percentage of the pages that were rendered with a different number of lines in Word than in Writer. This caused the frames to be wrong and also the anchors were not in the same place so many of the frames were just lost or displaced far from their original position.

If I'm not mistaken, both MSO and OOo use the fonts available on the system, so they would have both been using the exact same fonts and with the same page dimensions, so why did they not generate the same number of lines per page?

It took me a long time to realize what was happening and why these headings were moving. My friend was dead set against using Open Office. He thought it made more sense for me to pay big $$$ for the MS product than for him to download OOo for free.

--
Dale Erwin
Lurigancho, Lima 15 PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org